June 20th / 21st : Summer Solstice, 2017.
1. What is the Summer Solstice?
– The longest day of the year
– The start of summer in the Northern Hemisphere
2. What does “solstice” mean?
– It is Latin for “sun-stopping”
– The sun appears to stop and reverse direction in the sky after this day
3. What actually happens to the sun on this day?
– It is at its annual highest point in the sky
– The sun’s zenith is furthest away from the equator
4. Why is the solstice important?
– It was a visible calendar sign to help ancient agricultural societies
– People often used the passage of the sun to keep time
5. Why is Stonehenge associated with the Solstice?
– Many people believe Stonehenge was created as a sun temple
– The stones are lined up to capture the sun at specific points on certain times of the year (the Solstice being…
View original post 36 more words